Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Sunday, November 11, 2007

My Mom says I'm cool!

Jamie is on her way back from a weekend trip to Essex with Steve and some other friends. I was supposed to go with them, but Madrid rescheduled their office move for Friday & Saturday instead of Thursday & Friday.

The Madrid move marked my last official duties as European IT Manager. I honored the occasion by purchasing two cans of San Miguel Especial from the airport cafeteria (with some Tex Mex Doritos so I didn't look weird). I enjoyed my cerveca especial and regarded the magnificent view of the Madrid landscape from the panoramic windows of Terminal 4 of the Madrid Barajas Airport. I noted the sunset over the sparsely treed hills surrounding the airport was a metaphor for my era as European IT Manager. A simple metaphor, a device so frequently used (I'm a SYMBOL! *CRASH*) that my brother Mike's graduate writing class would sooner carve out their eyeballs with their fancy graduate school pens than be forced to read about it. But still, it was very special to me (*CRASH*) .

I have been promoted in preparation for our return to the US (in 4 weeks?!) and we have hired a new IT Manager who started last week. The upshot is that I shouldn't be called in to work at 3 AM if someone unplugs the servers, which will be a welcome change!

Quiz night didn't happen - our friends were sick last week, so we're trying to reschedule for this week. I know you are on the edge of your seats, so we'll let you know if we get to go!

In a desperate measure to be as cool as our gimptastic friend "Noelle", I jammed my fingers so badly while making a save in my Wednesday night football (soccer) league that I can't wear my wedding ring and my middle finger is as thick as a big fat sausage. However, I lacked the resolve "Noelle" showed and stopped short of breaking my fingers. Which I'm OK with.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

congrats on the promotion!

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously if it ain't broke, it ain't hardcore. It may hearten you to know that I also cannot wear my favorite ring at this moment because the pressure of my hands on the crutches causes it to hurt.

And Doritos make everyone cooler.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the promotion. Better luck next time breaking a bone. But... If you are anxious for agony, wait until Cooper's first six weeks. Wow! Now that will be an all-nighter that you wish you could forget. And of course, there will be a demotion involved, IT Manager to butt-wiper. Miss you! Much love to you and Jamie!
Your Cuz' in Patriot Nation...

10:52 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Congrats on the promo. And, the metaphor worked flawlessly. Love You, Mike

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the Promotion John! It could not have happened to a nicer guy ! You are so deserving! Also on the success of ur team! Can't wait till U3 come home:)

Love Ya, Cheryle

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home