Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Reprieve Gala at the Globe

I had a fun night last night and wanted to share it with you. As you know, I volunteer as a Steward at Shakespeare's Globe. (Oh- this is Jamie, in case you didn't already know.) Well, last night they hosted a charity event for Reprieve, "a UK charity that fights for the lives of people facing the death penalty and other human rights violations," and I volunteered.

I got to work inside for the first half and was outside for the second half, but I popped in to see a bit in the second half anyway. The comedians were fantastic! They were Mark Thomas, Stewart Lee and Kevin Eldon. If you ever get a chance to see one of them, I strongly recommend it.

But it was the musical guests that got me excited. First was David Knopfler, one of the co-founders of Dire Straits! He played new songs and they were pretty mellow and a bit sad, BUT HE WAS A CO-FOUNDER OF DIRE STRAITS! How cool is that?! There was also a singer called Allison Moorer. I didn't really get to hear her, because she was in the second half. But I heard this gorgeous alto voice coming through the doors when people came in and out, so I am going to try to listen to more of her stuff.

The BIG band, however, was The Proclaimers! That's right, ladies and gentlemen, the brothers who brought us "I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more-just to be the man who walked that thousand miles to fall down at your door- badadadatda...badadadatda..." You get the picture. Anyway- they played a couple of newer songs but they ended with that one and I was thrilled!

Eli, I don't know if you remember this, but you and I used to sing that song at the top of our lungs every time it came on the radio. I'm pretty sure we drove Mom mad! So, I sang along at the top of my lungs last night and imagined you were there with me. It was great!

The show went super-long, which was annoying, but I got to see the Proclaimers (and other cool acts) for free!

And that was my night. Aren't you glad I shared?

Hope you're all well...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home