Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Monday, May 22, 2006

Double Your Pleasure...

John and I have decided to each write a snippet tonight to make up for the fact that it's been over a week since our last blog. Surprise! I'm starting! I am so sorry that I left you hanging about our dinner at Christopher's and The Crucible. We had a fantastic night! Most of you will remember that we got a free dinner for two at Christopher's because of our bad experience when Flo was here. Well- let me tell you- when you walk into a restaurant with a letter from their manager apologizing for the horrible service and asking you to give it a second chance- people treat you like royalty! The service was IMPECCABLE and the food was ten times better than it was in February. So, suffice it to say the manager has really turned things around- go him! And it only got better from there. The Crucible was astonishingly good. The production design was simple and very well-utilized. The acting was honest. The direction was easy. He didn't put anything on it- didn't change the time or the language- he let the play speak for itself and it did. This is one of my favorite plays and the production was everything I'd want. We thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. What a great night!

In other news---Below 14th goes up on Thursday at 7:30. We have tech tomorrow and we are definitely ready. I only wish we got more than one performance, but that's life! Laura (the playwright) and Philip are coming in Thursday to see it. And to celebrate the show and their being here and Memorial Day--we are having our first party. We're having a Barbecue on Saturday at our place---and of course it's supposed to rain all week- YAY!

Finally, I've taken another theatre-type job. I'm helping to coordinate a Community Arts Festival the weekend before The Fourth of July. It's a little bit of extra cash and I think I'll be making a couple of good connections. Most importantly I'll be helping a community put up an Arts Festival- which I think is pretty cool! One of the guys I'm working with on the festival is a director and he told me the best way for me to get Directing work here is to create my own work and get people to come see it. Sound familiar? So, Playwrights, start getting some stuff together, because once Below 14th is over, I'm going to start focusing on proposals and putting up my own production and I'll be calling you! That's all from my end- so without further ado...

RAUL! KING OF THE TANGO!

English schools are going to start sending warning notices to parents when their children are fat. Starting from Pre-school. I think that is the best way to raise healthy, well balanced children. You certainly won't develop low self-esteem or eating disorders when you are told you are FAT by your school. I'm sure they'll waste millions of pounds trying to socially educate parents and students on how not stick your finger down your throat or sleep with the first person who looks at you. Which brings me to another point - Britain's youngest mother is Eleven years old. WOW!

In other news, Arsenal lost the Champions cup to Barcelona. Not only did they lose it, they were winning until the last 10 minutes, and then they lost it. It's just like being in Philly. So no more football until June, when the World Cup starts. I think I will actually support England. I feel almost like a traitor, but come on, which one of you guys is going to support/care about the United States? Reminder - this is the MEN's world cup and Mia Hamm retired, so put your hand down Meredith. I will actually be in Frankfurt for Togo V. South Korea. Can you think of anything more exciting!

We made an impulse buy at Woolworth's. Corey Feldman's Directorial debut was only 1.99! We had to get it.

I go to Madrid Memorial Day evening for work. Jamie can't make it, so it won't be as awesome as it could be - but I believe I will struggle through somehow.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it!

Dear Mrs. Jones,

We would like to send a quick note letting you know little Frankie has eaten way too many brats in the last year. He has weighed in as FAT by the school nurse. From this day forward until he loses those unwanted love handles, he will only be allowed one can of tuna and an apple for lunch. Please know, we are very concerned about this issue and hope that you support our starvation diet for Frankie at home.

Sincerely,

The skinny principal

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

11 years old is quite young. However, the youngest mother in America is 10. So we are still better than the brits. . .at everything.

Jamie, I am writing a script for you. Hopefully it doesn't suck. But you can tell me if it does. Really, you can.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home