Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Friday, April 14, 2006

Football, Pubs, and Electricity

Hi - John Ramsburg comin at ya.

I've had a quite the week living it up as a bachelor.

I saw Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf at the Apollo Theater - Same cast as NYC - Wow! It's one of those shows that can be a little long winded but still good if the actors aren't on their game, or up to par. Everyone brought their A game - even if Ms Turner sounded like she was fighting the miserable cold that has been spreading around London. For those interested, the Apollo Theater was also the West End home of The Norman Conquests in 1974.

I daresay I have found our "local" - there is a pub 2 blocks off the High street that meets my requirements - at least it did on Wed when I went to watch the football match. It's small, but offers areas to go hang out and be away from the crowd. And like most respectable places in our neighborhood, they have picnic tables and gas heat lamps if you want to chill out under the stars.

I think I'm close to having an actual football team that I support - I mentioned this to Jamie and she retorted - "Name two players". Of course, I could only name one and the stadium. So now I read the sports section of the daily papers. Anyway it's the Arsenal Gunners. Watching on a small TV at the pub I felt somehow involved with the other 3 guys watching the match. Not like Thanks for Dinner involved, more of a camaraderie. Of course, I seemed to have a picked a decent, yet often mediocre team. They would be perfect in Philly. There were even some missed goal opportunities that I - I, John Tuba Ramsburg, recognized! To quote the guy next to me, "the chair I'm sitting in could've scored that time". We had to watch the small TV because a more popular game was on the big screens. I felt like the sole Bengals fan at Down the Hatch.

I've been to Greenwich for dinner and drinks. I had the observatory pointed out to me on our way to the Trafalgar Pub. Greenwich observatory is where Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) comes from. Apparently Greenwich time taunted the other times into submission. We ate tapas at a place more known for its hot male twin owners than for the food, then stayed up all night and argued about music at Myke's flat. The next morning I was treated to a home cooked fry-up, complete with Myke in sunglasses because his head hurt. I was fine, oddly enough. Myke did manage to set the absinthe and his counter on fire at 3AM, which I observed with an odd bemused detachment. He's a chef - he put it out with a frying pan. Smart dude.

I went back to Old Street to the Drunken Monkey - and boy were there lots of drunken monkeys. DJ was good, but turned up way to loud. I guess I wasn't his target audience.

Other news, I now row at the max resistance - I even rowed 2000 meters in 8:47 the other night! I know - exciting!

Hope everyone has a happy Easter and/or Passover.
Off to bed - To Sleep! To sleep!

1 Comments:

Blogger Author said...

John,

I just came across to the link for your blog and I've had a good time reading through it. What a fun experience you guys are going through right now. Not many people get to do what you are doing.

I do have to disagree with your choice of football squad. Liverpool is the team to watch!! It was tough to watch Arsenal lose the Cup Final to Barcelona.

Jim

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home