Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Those who blog together...

Hi - We're doing a joint blog tonight. This is John's part-
I have discovered that most cold medicine here sucks. You can get Codine over the counter, but you can't get a decent 4 to 8 hour congestion remedy. Another fun fact - Night Nurse kicks Nyquil's ass. You better be in bed when you take it cause you ain't doin anything else for 8 hours. So my cold is mostly past, thanks for asking.

That's it for me - Oh, I'm getting better at the rower! I can actually row 2000 Meters under 10 minutes and walk around immediately after! For those of you confused by metric, 2000 Meters equals about .000000000000000000000000000000000000001 Parsecs, or 2 half-Bogles. Which do not equal one Bogle, as a half bogle is how far Bogle can throw a rock while drunk. Hi Bogle.

Jamie's turn-
As you know, I started temping on Wednesday. The job is a piece of cake. There are only a couple of guys in the office and there is little to no work. I answer the phone which rings about once an hour and fix a couple of reports. Even though the guys are really cool, I resisted the urge to get online last week. BUT today I spent most of the day online- reading the NY Times, London Theatre Reviews and doing research for my Mom's visit. I'm going to be the only one in the office on Thursday! Nice, huh? I got out early on Friday, so I walked around the city a little. I went to St. Paul's Cathedral, but it costs 9pounds to go in, so I left. I have issues with paying to enter a church. And I figure at some point, a visitor will want to go and I'll go then. Then I took the bus to Trafalgar Square and went to the National Portrait Gallery. It is so cool! I went with my class four years ago, but they have made major changes and the collection is HUGE and FREE! I really enjoyed it in spite of the fact that I was wearing my high boots and my feet were killing me. They have a Shakespeare Exhibit right now- looking at portraits that may or may not be him and trying to figure out who he was and what he looked like. I didn't see it, though, because John and I are going to go to that together.

On a sad note- I read today that the Theatre Museum may have to close because they didn't get the funding they requested. You may remember that I was disappointed with the museum but hopeful that it would improve. Apparently, it needs a ton of money to transform its space and if they don't get the money, they will have to close. I will continue to look into it and keep you posted.

That's all from me for now.

We hope you enjoyed our joint blog!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, neither John nor Josh are quite right on the “bogle” issue.

In fact, a bogle, as the term was originally used in the US, is a measurement of track gauge for light railroads. The term originates with the Bogle Strut Bracing & Steel Track Works of Easton, PA, founded by steel tycoon Ebeneezer Bogle. Mr. Bogle was a prolific inventor, developing such 19th century staples as the re-usable lead hotdog bun, the coal-powered electric light, and the clap. Of course, his most famous invention was a new kind of railroad track made from a mixture of steel, pig iron, and immigrants. The railroad tracks produced by the BSB&TW were used so commonly in urban areas that the tracks themselves were referred to as “bogles” by workers and engineers, and the name stuck. Light rail in urban areas was said to “run on bogles,” in contradistinction to the heavier tracks (known simply as “railroad tracks”) favored for heavier transcontinental lines.

As the 19th century wore on, reformers became increasingly concerned with the plight of the urban lower classes. A frequent problem was that all urban rail crossings were at street grade and none were guarded or gated, leading to daily tragedies whereby an unfortunate individual would be run over by a train. The problem became so endemic and frequent that when reformers said that urban rail “ran on bogles,” they literally meant that, rather than running on BSB&TW tracks, the trains ran their entire routes on the mangled corpses of street urchins, drunks, hoboes, and Irishmen (technically an amalgamation of the latter two categories). This, of course, is the genesis of the depression-era alteration of the word “bogle”’s usage to refer to a hapless or [mostly] harmless drunk.

In many urban areas, the solution to the grade level crossing problem was to elevate the tracks, using a revolutionary new steel compound developed by Hippolyte Cole of the U.S. Steel Corp. In turn, these rails were referred to as “hippys”, which, because they were raised high above the street to render them safe, gave us such terms as “high as a hippy,” or “as harmless as a hippy,” or, because the rails were dark in color and rusted easily, “as filthy as a hippy.”

Thank you. That is all.

PS-It took me a whole week to come up with something good to post, so I hope you read this.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
»

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home