Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Sunday, February 12, 2006

John watches football

Hola, esta Juan.

The football match was great. The stadium is in the middle of a neighborhood. All of the row homes had tents setup outside selling food, arsenal colors, etc. It felt more like a college or university stadium than pro sports. This is actually the last year they play at this stadium - after 96 years it will be torn down for more housing. Don't worry kids, they're almost finished with the new stadium just across the street.

We were in a VIP box, so I still haven't had a the experience of being in the middle of all the fans. The VIP box was nice - we had a 3 course meal before the match and they had rugby on the TV inside. You can bet on just about anything too - The first goal will kicked with the left foot is an example. I didn't place any bets - I should have, I would have won. I was going to bet that the game would end in a draw - which it did.

The other people in the box were various businessmen. One guy kept going on and on about his local team - it would be like yammering about the Brooklyn Cylcones at a Met's game. Another guy was just like David Brent from the BBC's The Office. He told us that he was asked to play semi-pro when he was younger but turned it down. Only after did he find out he was being recruited for a Chelsea feeder team. I'm not sure if I believe him.

So the game? Watching it live is a lot better than on the TV. The fans are as passionate (or crazy) as they are made out to be. They have songs for everything. The away team fans are isolated in their own section, surrounded by cops and ushers to prevent fights. They taunt each other over the aisle. Very entertaining. The taunts are all songs. Apparently a song is the worst thing ever - you have to sing the last song or you have been defeated. I think we all could learn a little something from that - songs, not violence are the answer. Until it degenerates into screaming profanities and fisticuffs.

Jamie and I went grocery shopping a la Nick Cage in Las Vegas - hey, we needed to stock the bar! Senior Tequila anyone? It has a sombrero for a bottle cap.

After dinner at home we went out to a couple different bars. I think we have two strong options now. One is more clubby, the other is more rock and roll.

I'm not feeling very funny today. Oh - I had one sheer moment of horror at the football match.
These two kids were passing a soccer ball back and forth on the street. It got away from one of them and started coming straight at me. I froze. These kids are a gazillion times better at ball control than I am. Crap, I need to pass it back to them. What if it goes wide and I look like an ass? Oh crap. Saved by some lady who casually flicked it back to them.

Break time is over - back to hanging pictures. By the by, the walls here are made of very very strong wood. Some of the walls are impenetrable by the tools of Man, or at least John. I think they are made of some NASA composite used on the Mars Rovers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have much to say, I just felt bad that this was the only post without comments. I played soccer for three years in high school - I was atrocious (they made us play sports). I would have had the exact same thoughts as you if that ball came hurtling towards me.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site
» »

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home