Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Much-Needed Good News

I was in desperate need of some good news today. Yesterday I went to The Theatre Museum in Covent Garden. It is a branch of The Victoria & Albert Museum and like the V&A it was free - hooray for federal funding! I wondered why my theatre class hadn't visited it when we were here in 2002 but decided it must not have been open then. I was expecting great things: costumes, scripts, design sketches, white card models, photographs, etc. Instead- I got a very small exhibit on The Building of The West End which was interesting, but didn't scratch the surface of what I had been expecting. There were also workshops downstairs for school groups, but I didn't attend those. I believe they are expanding their current space and that may be responsible for my disappointment. Since I am completely and utterly excited by the idea of a Theatre Museum, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and check in on them periodically to see if their collection has improved. I will keep you posted.

Yesterday was a bad day for reasons other than the Museum and I was not loving life in London when I dragged myself out of bed this morning.

So, as I said I was in need of good news today. And, surprisingly, I got it. The movers called to let me know our Ocean Shipment will be arriving tomorrow morning at 9AM. John can't be there, because he needs to be at work- so I will be alone to deal with whatever does or does not make it across the ocean. Say a prayer for the movers!

The other piece of good news is that we can watch the Super Bowl at home! Apparently the little digital box we bought gives us the channel that is showing the game. We are thrilled about this because we didn't want to watch the game with a bunch of strangers. If we can't be with our friends, we'd rather be alone and drinking as though we were with our friends! So, we are ordering wings from Pizza Hut (the only place around here that delivers them) and drinking beer while we watch the game that starts at 11:30 here. Carla and Dave, we are holding up our end of the deal- I hope you hold up yours!

A final note- we realized today that our answering machine deletes messages. If you talk longer than it wants you to, it cuts you off and deletes your message. The movers informed me that they had left a message yesterday and it happened to my mom today. So, if you have called and left a message and were wondering why we hadn't called back, now you know. We will be replacing said piece of crap machine tomorrow.

That's all from here. I'll drop in tomorrow to let you know how the move-in goes. Hope you and your families are all well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home