Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Monday, January 23, 2006

No exclamation point?

Thought I would break the trend.

Saturday I went out to buy screws so we can hang our new curtain rods. This turned out to be a good decision, as I found "Worth-It" merchandise at Woolworths. A frying pan for 1 pound? SOLD. A small little pot for 3 pounds? SOLD. Of course, why does a pot with only a 1/4 the volume of a pan cost 3 times as much? I have no idea. Maybe they need to hire special craftsmen with tiny hands to pour the molten steel into the mold in the factory in Turkmenistan.

Turkmenistan has a cool ruler - Ed pointed him out to me (on the street). He renamed bread after his mother and makes doctors take an oath to him instead of Hippocrates. He isn't even in the crazy aisle, he's got his own store. I wonder if he just does this to see how long he can get away with it. Look him up.

Saturday saw my first session at the gym - I had an instructor create a program for me. Apparently in British English that means to try make you throw up. I'm learning so many idioms here! I went back tonight and did ok. They have the same guys as in the US who just sit on the machines. Oh they're using them, just resting between sets. For 5 minutes. 5 MINUTES. The guy who kicked my ass said to only wait 30 seconds between sets. By the way, I have a new respect for my brother Mike - JV National Crew champ. I use the rowing machine to "warm up" or as I call it "die".

We went out for New British Food with another ex-pat and his girlfriend on Saturday night. I had Braised Ox-Tail on the bone. It was good. New British means French with stuff bought around the corner.

Sunday we went to church. I really liked the service. However, there are never any people our age. And I think we sat in some old lady's seat, but she wouldn't say anything. The service was at 11 - Hang-Over service. There's another one at 6:30 PM - that's the I've been puking until 4 service.

Speaking of vomit - We have seen more vomit on the street and on public transportation in the last 2 weeks than I have seen anywhere in NYC, including my own. I guess people are worried they won't get tanked by 11 so they sprint for finish.

Speaking of drunk - We found a BBQ joint down the road from us that plays North American sports so we got to see the first half of the AFC championship game. That was a lot of fun and the full rack of baby-back ribs I had was suprisingly good! I did the "pig out for a tenner" deal. Jamie had some chicken thing. We finished it off with some good ol' English Apple Pie with Cinnamon Ice Cream. The buffalo wings were not what we expected. They were good, but not buffalo wings by any stretch. First off, you got thigh, shin, and claw all together. If you're still with me, they didn't really spice it up for "hot" either. So we tore them apart and ate it - I liked it, just don't call em buffalo wings if you can't get Frank's Red Hot.

Oh yeah - the drunk part - I pose a theorem that anywhere you go to watch Football (American) there will be some wicked drunk guy (American) embarrassing himself and his friends. "GO DONKEYS!!"

By the way, we needed wall anchors for the curtain rods. I thought that it was too easy driving the screws in with a pocket-knife screwdriver. Found a DIY store (hardware for those keeping track) that we need to visit.

Off to bed.
G'night.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamie & John said...

Jamie here- just want to clarify the vomit. We did see a lot of it Saturday night. But the one that started it off was the worst. We got on the tube at 11:30 and there it was. As you can imagine, it smelled horrible so we changed cars at the next station. The weird thing is that we were the only ones! There were plenty of empty seats in the adjacent cars, but no one else changed. They just stayed in the car and pretended the vomit wasn't there! Weird, huh?

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home