Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Friday, January 20, 2006

Lesson learned and Jamie saw a show

Hello, Everyone-

Before I discuss the show I saw last night I want to share with you something John and I learned yesterday. While having other people pack up all of your stuff for you may sound like a great plan, it is not necessarily the best way to ensure that everything arrives where and when it should. We received our Air Shipment yesterday, but half of it was missing. Where are my pots and pans? my glasses? my underwear and socks? And why do we have 25 shot glasses that were all supposed to be in storage? Those are just a few of the questions to which we have no answers. Hopefully the things that were missing are coming in the Ocean shipment. If not, they are sitting in a storage facility in New Jersey. The lesson here? You can't just label everything and expect people to follow your instructions. You have to watch every word they write on every box OR pack it all yourself.

The good news is: THE SUN IS OUT!!!! And it has been for three hours!!!

So, I'd like to take a moment to tell you about the show I saw last night. I saw "O Go My Man" by Stella Feehily at the Royal Court Theatre. The play is about couples in Dublin who cheat, break up, etc. Its basic premise is similar to "Closer." One of the characters is even a photographer. But that's where the similarities stop.

In my opinion, this play tried to be bigger than it was. It could be an entertaining play about relationships and people and what happens when you are stuck in a loveless relationship and give into temptation. The characters, for the most part, are interesting. Their relationships are typical and the outcome hopeful. But, the playwright has tried to make it more. One of the characters is an War Correspondent who becomes obsessed with a village in Africa after he witnesses the aftermath of a massacre there. This village massacre haunts his dreams and his life. A fund raising effort for Africa also provides a way for a Producer (the least developed of the characters) to distract the press from a scandal. One of the characters even says that her life seems so miniscule when faced with the horrors of the world. Why is all of this a problem?

Well, I stopped caring about the people in the play. I started thinking about the horrors of the world- the massacres, the wars, the human rights abuses, the starvation- and I didn't care if the characters got what they wanted. I didn't care who loved who or why. I found everyone petty and selfish. Was that the playwright's intention? If so, I don't understand. Why would you want the audience to stop caring about what happens to your characters? This is not a rhetorical question- I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

On a brighter note- the design concept was intelligent and well-executed. And the sound design included a song off of Eminem's Curtain Call CD- which made me happy! And I had delicious Coffee ice cream at interval. I wouldn't say that I didn't enjoy the play, just that it baffled me.

That's all for now- I look forward to your comments and hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamie & John said...

Just a side note - all of my things arrived. 2nd lesson: be the one who supervises the packing. John

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home