Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Friday, January 13, 2006

Currency Conversion is a pain!

Happy Friday the 13th!

Thank you for your comments. We promise to post pictures of the flat as soon as we have internet and we will definitely try all of your suggestions on how to get rid of the damp. I had forgotten that our Air Purifier is on its way via Ocean Shipment- which will help a great deal. (In case you couldn't tell this is Jamie again. John is too busy to write during the day, because he is working very hard at his new job which he loves so far and he can't write at night, because we will not have home internet for another week or so!) But I digress.

Something funny that I forgot to tell you last time is that there was a mini transit strike on our first day here! Yes, we left New York "land of the subway strike" for London "land of the semi-tube strike!" All tube station workers were on strike Monday, which resulted in only a few stations closing (Thank God!) but there are threats that they will all walk out! Wouldn't that be grand?

But what I'd really like to talk about today is currency. I know that this will sound silly to some of you, but I am here to say that a universal international currency similar to the Euro would make International Relocation a much easier process! Yes, yes, I understand the reasons behind every country having their own currency but, if you think about it, it makes travel between countries much more difficult than it has to be. We received our first London bill today, a Council Tax bill, which will of course need to be paid in pounds. However, our money is all in dollars in an American Bank as we have yet to finalize our London bank account due to slowness on their part. So, what are we to do? Yes, we can pay the bill by credit card, but at some point that conversion will have to be made. Every time I take cash out of the American account, I have to do the conversion (and it's kind of a pain in the butt!) Blah-blah- I know I'm ranting and it's probably not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be, but it's what is on my mind today as I attempt to reconcile our old bills with our new bills. Anyway- I would recommend that anyone who is planning to relocate to another country have a bank account set up before he/she moves. It will make life easier.

Other than that- things are good. I love having a washer/dryer in the kitchen! We are going to try out one or two of the neighborhood pubs tonight, then it's Ikea and "The Woman in Black" Saturday night and exploring our neighborhood on Sunday.

Hope everyone is well- Bye for now!

1 Comments:

Blogger Noelle said...

For some nice house goods and possibly appliances, check out habitat. It's like a slightly upscale IKEA. Or you can do what I did, and have it all delivered form Harrod's! (ha ha)

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home