Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Sunday, June 17, 2007

We got Icky Thumped!












Trivia Question #2: What was the score of the Eagle's first game?
a) 21-3
b) 56-0
c) 31-17
d) 56-14

The O2 Wireless festival was amazing. We met Steve at a pub called The Swan by Hyde Park. We sat outside enjoying the fine British weather and waited for the opportune time to collect our tickets and make our grand entrance.

After a very confusing ticket queue we finally entered the fair and quickly oriented ourselves to the closest Beer, Toilets, and First Aid stand (more for my benefit as I'm the non-lethal accident magnet). We wandered around a bit until deciding to sit by the sound booth. It is my opinion that the best sound is next to the booth.

Modest Mouse did not play. Disappointing, but we quickly got over it when realized how awesome Satellite Party is. Perry knows his audience and played at least 5 Jane's Addiction songs. It was also a real party on stage with three bikini clad dancing girls who took turns singing and playing various instruments. All in all a fantastic time!

Queens of the Stone Age - or QOFTSA as they were abbreviated on all documentation which caused a great deal of consternation on our parts - WHO IS QOFTSA? Jamie finally figured it out and we all felt very stupid - were good. Steve and I decided to reclaim our youth by running into the pit towards the end of their set. All went well until I was 3 rows of sweaty flesh from the stage and I lost Steve.

I decided to make the best of it and wait until The White Stripes started so I could be that close to Jack and Meg. When I finally made an effort to get back to Jamie I discovered that I was caught up in a tide of humans. I would make it 6 rows and get pushed back right to the spot from where I started. I then realized that the only way to go out was to go up. I turned to guys behind me and pointed up in the air. After some wild gesticulation a group of well intentioned drunks proceeded to almost drop me on my head. Some bright fellow figured out that you should lift humans by the torso and sorted them out and got me above the plane of sweaty heads. I had an excellent view of Jack as I crowd surfed my way to the front. I was dragged down in front of the barriers by the security staff and made my escape.

I made it back to Jamie and Steve just in time - they were going to check the first aid tent for my mangled body. After brief rejoicing we then turned our attention to the job at hand - getting our faces melted off by the Stripes.

What a great time. Thanks again Jamie!

Answer to Eagles' Trivia: b) 56-0 The Eagles lost to the New York Giants on Oct. 15, 1933.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamie & John said...

To clarify: there were two girls dancing onstage during Satellite Party and they were wearing body suits, not bikinis! AND while I was panic-stricken when John didn't return with Steve, Steve figured, quite rightly, that John was just enjoying being close to Jack and Meg. At least I know where I stand!

In spite of the panic, it was a fantastic time. The White Stripes live are indescribable.

You are very welcome, Baby!

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home