Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Lazy Sunday

Hi everybody! Jamie here. We are having a divine lazy Sunday and I thought I'd take a minute to catch you up on life in London. John is busy fighting the Japanese in Medal of Honor and I for one am glad the war is not resting on his shoulders.

Before I tell you about our weekend- I want you to know that we saw an amazing show last weekend. Piano/Forte is a new play by Terry Johnson currently at The Royal Court. We saw it last Friday with Steve, Myke and Drew and were so impressed, we sent Flo and Keith to see it Tuesday night. It is beautifully and intelligently written and the production was fascinating. I strongly recommend reading it and, if given the chance, seeing it.

In other news- Flo and Keith left Thursday. We had a wonderful time with them. I feel like I know Keith now and that is a good thing. They were adorable and happy and I didn't want them to leave! Since then, we have been decompressing. We spent most of the weekend in our lovely flat. Friday I woke up to hammering on the wall at my head for the last time! I moved all the furniture around while John was at work and we are both much happier with the set-up. Will it stop the construction from waking me up every morning? We will find out tomorrow....

The big event for us this weekend was a trip to Apsley House and Wellington Arch. We decided a couple of weeks ago that we haven't used our English Heritage Cards enough, so we packed them in our pocket protectors and headed to Hyde Park today. The Apsley House belongs to the Duke of Wellington. He stays there when he's in town, but it is also a museum for the first Duke of Wellington's collection of china, weaponry, art, etc. For those of you who don't know, the first Duke of Wellington won the battle of Waterloo. Apparently the thing to do back then in order to express your gratitude or respect was to give china and I'm not just talking a place setting. These rulers gave the Duke centrepieces for a table that sat 36 PLUS china to serve those 36! In John's words, "Can you imagine being the guy who kicked someone's ass so bad that everyone gave you all this shit just to eat off of?" It was a beautiful home and a wonderful collection.

After the house, we decided to brave the autumn English weather, ie. it was sunny but could rain at any moment, to go to the top of the Wellington Arch. We thought there would be a view of Green Park and the palace, but alas, the view was blocked by trees. Luckily, it didn't rain on us.

Not to be undestimated, a light English shower fell as we made our way to the tube. I remarked to John that it was a good thing there weren't downpours in London because we only had one umbrella. Of course- when we got out of the tube at Clapham North, the sky opened up and there was a huge thunder and lightning storm and torrential downpour! It was the kind of weather I expect in New York, not London. But I guess I'm in for a treat this autumn!

I am off to make chicken korma for dinner- from scratch. I know, I'm so domestic!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy checking in on your blogs. Always fun and interesting. Keep them coming. Be back soon.

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home