Jamie & John in London

A journal of our experiences as Americans living in London

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Guest post!

Hiya, it's Eli (Jamie's brother). I'm guest posting because that's what you do when you stay with them in London. Sooooo, first off I'd like to mention that Virgin airlines is wonderful. I had an English breakfast on the flight. I have to say it beats the Bagel McMuffin I had prior- and it was complimentary, so beat that McDonald's =-P! I watched two movies with Jamie: V for Vendetta and Firewall. V for Vendetta was a terribly great movie, which I plan to buy in the near future. Firewall was pretty exciting, but the character of Bill Cox was really confusing. He never really established power because he was pretty lax for a criminal, yet he had no problem with killing like 4 people during the film. I don't know. Anyway, the flight was comfortable and quick. We got back to the flat at about 11 I think and we watched some TV and ate Indian food that John cooked for us :D.


The next day we didn't do TOO much. It was basically the prep work for my stay- currency exchange, oyster card, etc. etc. I got a feel for the tube and workings of the city. It's a lot more laid back than New York, although I find that people try to cram themselves into the tube trains even though they can't really fit. It's funny to watch them think they fit and then get hit by the door. Maybe that's a bit mean? Meh.


So today was a big day. I went on a tour of London on a double decker bus. We sat at the top. Got some nice sun :). We drove through the city and took a look at some historical landmarks. I kinda favored the Globe Theater and the Parliament building. Jamie suggested we take a walking tour, but I wasn't sure. There was a Beatles walk and a Haunted something or other, which was basically a pub crawl. Now I would have enjoyed the pub crawl, however "me mum" doesn't want me to drink. Jamie and I had our debates about this, haha.


So after our tour we went to the National Portrait Gallery. I have to say there must have been like 2000 paintings there. We started at the Beatles gallery where I learned there were actually two band members replaced. It didn't explain in detail, but apparently Ringo Starr took over for somebody who died of a brain hemorrhage :(. Also, somebody played Bass prior to Paul, which makes me wonder what Paul was doing during that. We then moved on to look at portraits of the royal family and some other rich people back in the day. We skipped the Victorian period because our feet were beat, but we did check out the current family portraits. Pretty interesting stuffs. Afterwards we waited on some steps outside. It was nice out and I took a nap while Jamie read. Really we were just waiting for John.


This is where the wonderful cell phone journey begins. John showed up and we went down the street to get Jamie a new phone/plan. It took quite a while but when it was over with Jamie and John mentioned how fast the service was. Okay..? That was our epic phone journey. Then we came home and here I am. I'll probably post one or two more times, I've still got about a week ahead of me :D.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Young Man.. Good to hear UR having a great time thus far. And UR MUM is right not to want U 2 do the Pub Crawl. You could get dirty crawling thru those pubs. :P
Enjoy The rest of UR adventure. I Look forward to reading the next Blog Posting or 2..

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well little brother sounds like Jamie is keeping you quite busy. I hope you guys are taking some photos of your journeys; I know I'd like to see some. Are you going to get a chance to visit Big Ben too? That is in London right?

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home